Skip to content
Contact Us: 03-3724722 | 055-9781688 | [email protected]

MVV – Extended visa to Holland

Joshua Pex
Joshua Pex

If you are considering a long stay in Holland for work, study or otherwise, you may encounter the abbreviation “MVV”, which refers to a special entrance visa for resident permits for over 90 days. Depending on your personal situation, you may have to apply for this visa.

Our law office specializes in visa and emigration to the Netherlands. In this article, we explain when an MVV is required and how you can request it.

What is a MVV

“MVV” is aמ abbreviation for “Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf”. Translated to English, it means “Regular Provisional Residence Permit” and refers MVVto an entrance visa into the Netherlands for a stay of over 90 days. Since the MVV is just an entrance visa, it always comes together with a residence permit. Combined with a residence permit, it is known as a TEV. In Dutch, “TEV” is an abbreviation for “Toegang en Verblijf”, which translated to English means “Entrance and Residence Procedure”.

Your nationality determines if you need the MVV to enter Holland for a stay of over 90 days. If you intend to stay for over 90 days, you will need to have a specific purpose for your stay, such as staying with a family member, working, or studying.

When am I exempt from requiring an MVV?

You do not need to request a MVV in the following cases:

  • You are a citizen of a country in the European Union or the European Economic Area.
  • You are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New-Zealand, Vatican City, Unites States of America, or South Korea
  • You currently have a valid residence permit in the Netherlands. If you had a valid residence permit in the Netherlands but no longer have it, you may re-apply for a residence permit (without MVV) within two years, provided you have stayed in the Netherlands for that whole time.
  • You have a valid residence permit for a country in the Schengen area and you want to stay in the Netherlands for work, as an au pair, exchange or study. You have a recognized Dutch sponsor, and meet all the criteria for the purpose of your stay.
  • You have long-term residency of another country in the European Union
  • You had a European Blue Card for at least 1.5 year for another country in the European Union or European Economic Area. You can request a residence permit (without MVV) as European Blue Card holder.
  • You request a residence permit for a start-up or your company transfers you to Holland within the framework of “Long term intra EU-mobility”.

If you do not meet any of the exemptions mentioned above, you have to request a MVV for your long stay in Holland. Below we explain which general criteria you need to meet and how the MVV is requested.

What criteria do I need to meet for an MVV?

First, you must provide a purpose for you stay in Holland. For instance, staying with your Dutch family members work or study in the Netherlands. For each purpose, there are different conditions you need to meet which we explain in the different articles on our website.

Second, general criteria for everyone who apply for a MVV. These general criteria are that; you have a valid passport or travel document, do not have criminal records as stated in the antecedents form, and will take a medical test for tuberculosis upon arriving in Holland.

How do I request a MVV?

If you plan to stay in the Netherlands for work, as au pair, for exchange or for study, you will need a Dutch recognized sponsor to apply for the MVV. Your sponsor will apply to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). The IND will make a decision within 60 days and inform you and your sponsor. If your application is approved, you may pick up your MVV at the Dutch embassy in the country where you reside. You have three months to pick up the MVV; your passport needs to be valid for at least six more months in order to receive it.

If you do not have a Dutch recognized sponsor, you will have to apply at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country.

Are you confused whether you need a MVV or not or do you want help with applying for a MVV? We are ready to assist you in every step you take. Contact advocate Joshua Pex in Jerusalem / Tel Aviv for assistance.

Contact Us

  • ✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Scroll To Top