Visa Reforms for Skilled Workers
Visa Reforms for Skilled Workers in Israel
The state of Israel generally discourages local companies from hiring foreign workers, who would take jobs away from Israelis. However, over the years many foreign workers have been invited to Israel, mainly in order to carry out work that isn’t done by Israelis. Foreign skilled workers are necessary when local experts don’t have enough knowledge or experience to do the required task. The Israeli government has recently conducted visa reforms for skilled workers, in order to enable the employment of expert foreign workers by Israeli companies, to advance research and development, and allow these companies to compete successfully in the global market.
Visa reforms for skilled workers who are experts in their fields and can contribute to the Israeli economy are common mainly in the area of Hi-Tech and advanced technological companies, as you can read about in this article on our website.
If you are an Israeli employer who is hiring an expert worker from a foreign country, or an international company who wants to open a branch in Israel and bring over to Israel foreign workers, who are not Israeli, you are required to apply for a B-1 work permit from the Israeli government. Many employers are not aware of Israeli visa reforms for skilled workers, which make hiring a skilled foreign worker of their choice a complex process.
For businesses in various regulated industries that can benefit greatly from the expertise and experience of skilled foreign workers, it is critical that all required documents are submitted in order for your application to be processed and approved.
Our law firm, Cohen, Decker, Pex, Brosh has assisted many foreign skilled workers obtain a B-1 expert work visa to Israel, and in this article we will explain the process for applying.
Who can apply for this service?
Visa reforms for skilled workers are available for employers in Israel who are seeking to employ an expert foreign worker in various fields. This includes employers in various regulated industries in Israel, such as medicine, technology, medical and industrial equipment, chemicals, food and beverages, etc.
Which documents do you need to submit?
If you are an Israeli employer who is applying for a permit for hiring an expert foreign worker, there are several documents that you need to submit along with your application form.
The good news is that most of the application process for a permit to employ an expert foreign worker can be done online, including a secure payment process.
Make sure that you have the original copy of the following documents verified by a lawyer or an accountant, and attach them to your application form:
- A current and valid printout of your company from the Business Registry, the Registrar of Companies, or the Registrar of Partnerships.
- If the expert foreign worker permit you are applying for is for a new worker, you are required to submit documents that indicate or prove their education, experience, qualifications, and/or expertise. These documents may include their resume, certificates that prove their degrees and diplomas, work experience, etc. If the required documents are not in Hebrew or English, they should be translated to Hebrew and then notarized.
- In the case of the applying company being a foreign company that does not have an Israel-based branch, a power-of-attorney must be attached. This authorizes the applicant to make a request for the visa reforms for skilled workers permit on behalf of the worker.
- If you are a foreign company that is requesting for an extension of a foreign worker’s permit, you should complete this appendix.
Which documents are required from local companies?
If the applying company is a local company; that is, a company that is based in Israel, then the following are the documents that have to be submitted:
- An accountants’ report which states that the company is currently active and does not have any ‘ongoing entity warning’.
- A certified copy of the 122 form regarding the company’s Israeli employees for the last three months, which is submitted to the National Insurance Institute.
- A printed letter that clearly and thoroughly explains the need for the skilled foreign worker, along with attached documents that support the stated reasons, as well as documents that prove government support for the same.
- Any additional documents that support the request of the applying company for the skilled foreign worker.
- If you are applying for an extension of a foreign worker’s permit, make sure that appendix C of your request form has as accountant’s authorization.
How can you apply for a work permit according to visa reforms for skilled workers?
Now that you are aware of all the documents that you require for a permit to employ a skilled foreign worker in Israel, here are the steps that you need to follow in order to apply for your permit:
- The first step is to get the application form by paying for your application fee online. You can pay the fee here.
- Next, print the expert foreign worker application form and complete it, filling out all the necessary information carefully. You can download the application form here.
- After the application form is filled out with the correct information, attach all the required documents, and mail it in a sealed envelope to the following address:
The Employers and Foreign Workers Services Administration, Permits Unit
42 Agripas Street, AUI Building (Ki”ch), 5th Floor, Jerusalem.
How much is the application fee?
The application fee for visa reforms for skilled workers costs 1,190 NIS, which can be paid online.
For the updated prices and fee structure of your application, check out the fees chart.
What are the other important notes to remember for applying companies?
Apart from the guidelines for applying for visa reforms for skilled workers in Israel, here is some information that applying companies should keep in mind:
- Only foreign companies who are applying for permits for expert foreign worker employment should make affidavits in English.
- Since many of the forms and documents involved in the application process for a permit to employ an expert foreign worker are in Hebrew, it is recommended that you seek assistance from a fluent Hebrew speaker. This will make the process much easier for you.
- For the best results regarding this service, it is suggested that you seek legal assistance from an established law office that has plenty of experience in this field.
Visa reforms for skilled workers is a legal service that many companies apply for and have benefited from. It can be availed by companies in various industries, from science and technology to education, art, and more.
For companies who are applying for the first time, it may be an overwhelming process. You have to ensure that you fill out the form with no mistakes and attach all the correct documents and certificates required. Even for companies who have gone through the process, it can be a complex road to navigate.
Contact us – Cohen, Decker, Pex, Brosh – Israeli Law Firm
To make it easier for you, make sure that you have expert legal professionals who can provide you with the assistance you need to have your application for the permit of hiring an expert foreign worker approved. Please contact us if you wish to hire a foreign expert worker in Israel, or have any questions regarding Visa reforms for skilled workers, or issues of immigration to Israel.